Skip to main content

Walk No.9

Route: no specific route, derive - central London
Duration: 6 hours
Time of day: late afternoon into evening

Map: resisting the urge to use the map (a shitty tourist freebie from the hostel), part pride - I know London like the back of my hand hahaha- and part intention for research. Later, I get given a gallery guide map and the gallery (Ordovas) is so tiny, the work so recognisable (Warhol and Lichtenstein) that I make a real point of playing with it because it's really quite redundant.  It's a fun show. Giant green polyurethane cactus (Guido Drocco and Franco Mello, Radiant Cactus 2017) encourage you to weave in and out and create lines and routes. It's a reprieve from the intensity of the streets.
Hyper awareness: It's been so long since I was last in London I feel the uncomfortable sensation of being out of a comfort zone. It seems Devon has changed me. Parochial-ness has grabbed me. I am wide eyed and gullible and over stimulated after five minutes of walking down to Willesden Green tube.
Pedestrian battles: pedestrians own the turf and defy the aggressive traffic. i like. It's not polite but it has a truth.
Hordes: however - no longer am I a wandering solo pedestrian - we are legion. I dodge and weave and daren't slow down to dawdle and wander in case I’m crushed or worse: judged.
Stranger: aloneness : despite the crowds, the volume of bodies, the conversations filling the air I am carrying my loneliness like a hi-vis shroud on my back. I think of Olivia Laing and find comfort in her approach. It transcends into creative observation play, I almost forget I am utterly alone. I try and slow down on Regent Street and channel Virginia Wolf.  It's hard to stay your own pace in this super highway pedestrianism of now but by conjuring up these literary friends I cope.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk No.27

Route: Plymouth Train Station to PCA Duration: 15 Mins Time of Day: Morning Tarmac:  The crust of the earth made from tarmac.  I see under the skin where the roadworks have excavated.  The layers of stuff.... Strata.  Man made. Topography: This shape that hugs the surface.  The horizontality.  The way it changes as you near the spot you thought you could grasp in your vision.  How might the topography look as a drawn thing.  Topology, the mobius strip etc.... Plateau: A plateau is a safe resting place when climbing.  I'm plateauing now but it doesn't feel safe. All I can see is the next mountain face I have to navigate... Steps:  There are perfect steps (just near the station) where each one is at the right distance and height to take one step at a time, perfect.  Then there are the ones just in the university campus where I use two feet on one step meaning I have an uneven rhythm going up or down them.  It's hugely d...

Walk No.26

Route:  Totnes to Dartington via Riverpath Duration: 1 hour 30 mins Time of Day: Midday Speeding Van: A van came speeding up the high street and I had started to cross.  Something snapped in me and I slowed right down, holding my ground and walking steadily across the road so the van had to slow down, I stared at the driver in the eyes and gestured he should slow down.  He gave me the finger and swerved round me accelerating loudly so I yelled and gave him the finger back.  I was furious.  He had come out of nowhere, speeding up a gentle road, full of pedestrians with hardly any room to walk on the pavement.  Wanker. From Ollie's sketchbook.. to the man in the van. Lucy Lippard: I try the Eskimo custom she describes in Overlay.  I'm walking the emotion out of my system along the path of the river. "The Eskimo is given a stick, the point at which the anger is conquered is marked with the stick, bearing witness to the strength or length ...

Walk No.28

Route: Home to Totnes Train Station via the riverbank Duration: 20 Mins Time of Day: Morning Paul Ricoeur?:   ~reading the signs~ Projection/translation/ Production:    From nature to me not me to nature.  (Fulton talks about not imposing things on the site/nature.)  Fulton v Long.  In gallery, product v in situ/no product (see Tufnell and Wilson 2002) Thumb/Finger: Still using my finger memory system.  What would fingerprints as maps, enlarged, be like? All the lines/scars on the body as maps..... lines of memory, journeys... Polarised:  I'm working in two methods, pulling opposite ways.  Conceptual ideas made material are not expanding the research.  They're full stops on the end of a thought train.  Not process, just working to illustrate a point.  The more dynamic, unfolding processes seem to interweave theory/thought/discovery and are more like italics, gently accenting emphasis but totally integral to th...