Skip to main content

Walk No.30

Route: Plymouth Train Station to PCA
Duration: 15 Mins
Time of Day: Morning

Socks: Feet in socks, socks as objects.  Shoes, looking at all the different shoes.  As transport. Different shoes influence different gaits.

Weaponised cars:  Cars are brutal, always have been.  Lately cars have been weaponised.  Because it's so easy to kill someone with a car.

Lines: Define spacial relationships. (Lygia Clark) It's easy to see this in a cityscape.

Binary: Linear needs non-linear for definition, there is no binary in it.  Like the Foucalt liars theory, liars are just proving the existence of lies, or something like that?  And see also Lefebvre, he mixes up the binary too.

Purpose: The space is that of commuters. Back in Totnes, earlier, around 8am ish, I saw a group of lads congregating at a terrace bar/cafe all hungover, laughing and recounting the night before.  They seemed incongruous to the frame work (pattern/system) the space had now become: transit channel to work/school.  Their leisure and night-time energy was holding a small space as a place of fun in amongst the other purpose space.  I could see it like outlined shapes almost.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk No.27

Route: Plymouth Train Station to PCA Duration: 15 Mins Time of Day: Morning Tarmac:  The crust of the earth made from tarmac.  I see under the skin where the roadworks have excavated.  The layers of stuff.... Strata.  Man made. Topography: This shape that hugs the surface.  The horizontality.  The way it changes as you near the spot you thought you could grasp in your vision.  How might the topography look as a drawn thing.  Topology, the mobius strip etc.... Plateau: A plateau is a safe resting place when climbing.  I'm plateauing now but it doesn't feel safe. All I can see is the next mountain face I have to navigate... Steps:  There are perfect steps (just near the station) where each one is at the right distance and height to take one step at a time, perfect.  Then there are the ones just in the university campus where I use two feet on one step meaning I have an uneven rhythm going up or down them.  It's hugely dissatisfying. The same foot is used to reach fo

Walk No.20

Route: Interior of my house Duration: 2 Hours approx Time of Day: Morning Tracking my movements/walk around the house in the act of vacuuming. Removal:  Reversal of laying down lines and marks, lifting things away with the vacuum cleaner. Dust Motes:   Air is a mass.  The outblow of the vacuum blows the dust around and it illustrates the  movement of the air.  It's suddenly there.  Visible.  There's a poetry in having the invisible revealed to you. Traffic:  Carpet worn.  Foot traffic.  Imprint of the family. Interior Space:  Just noting the difference in being in the confines of walls compared to outside.  Vague reference Jung and houses being interior of minds.  Layout of subconscious etc Dolls House:  As I'm vacuuming I'm mapping the house in my mind.  I'm trying to use the memory palace method of remembering my prompts.  I get a huge memory afterwards when I sketch out the plan.  I remember playing at designing houses with a friend when I

Walk No.25

Mary Overly The Six Viewpoints. I was introduced to this practice through Deborah Black during a workshop at In Other Tongues , a creative summit held at Dartington Hall 2017.   (see:  http://artdotearth.org/  ) I've been applying it to the walks.... THE SSTEMS Shape - Perceptual ability to see and feel physical form. Space - Perceptual ability to see and feel physical relationship. Time -  Perceptual ability to experience duration and systems created to regulate duration. Emotion -Perceptual ability to experience states of being. Movement - Perceptual ability to experience and identify with kinetic sensation. Story - Perceptual ability to see and understand logic systems as an arrangement of collected information. Difficult to document, of course........