Skip to main content

Walk No.1

Route: Bus Stop to PCA
Duration: 5 Mins
Time of Day: Morning

I didn't expect or intend to be documenting this particular part of my day.  Things/events revealed themselves to me and if they gave me food for thought or felt significant I then tried to remember them, tried to capture or bottle them.  It's not practical to write as I walk.  So I began to attach one word to each finger and kept repeating them, reminding me of the shopping list game.....  I went to the shops and I bought some butter.  I went to the shops and I bought some butter and a pint of milk.  I went to the shops and I bought some butter and a pint of milk and a bottle of gin.....

I chanted to myself:

Commuter Tide
8.40
Clothes
Subway
Channels

This is what I remember from those word prompts:

I took the bus instead of the train to Plymouth as an experiment.  The results weren't great as I emerged from the bus with motion nausea (trying to read on a rural bus is not a good idea).
People are everywhere, the traffic is noisy and relentless and I feel disorientated.  I get that sense of being a stranger and having to hesitate to decide which way to walk gives away my alien disposition. Later in a seminar the idea of strangeness and what treasures this can bring/open up/ignite reminds me of these feelings of unfamiliarity and I recall feeling quite excited about plotting a new route in my internal mapping system.  And the subsequent questions and ideas this unleashed...

I am suddenly aware of streams of parents and children,  all emerging from various spaces and converging on the pavement in a purposeful procession, to presumably the same destination.  It's like ants forming mini routes to one big line journey.  I note the time is 8.40am.  I note that I'm not in the ant train confluence and am alone on my journey. Although I am now actually amongst a swarm of people coming and going I don't feel connected to them.


It's colder today and I have a lot of layers on.  I feel restricted by this and the massive bags I'm lugging. I don't like the feeling of being pulled down, trapped.  I like to be buoyant; able to turn on my heel, manoeuvre spontaneously, but this weight makes me feel vulnerable and slow.

I cross at a major pelican crossing, with the rest of the tidal wave of commuters,  acutely aware of the code of behaviour and follow some people down a subway: half out of a need to be guided and half out of curiosity for the experience of a potential new space.

The strong visual line of the subway follows through as I emerge, the tunnel has made me aware of the system of channels of the motor traffic. The space (actual and inferred) is gouged out for unhindered passage.  Mostly I'm aware of the massive road and the skinny barrier separating me from it.  The car channel is moving continually in the same direction (car and line are one), more so than the pedestrian ones, these are defined by the paving but the pedestrians despite being directed in particular directions appear less 'attached' to them. 

NB In writing this down I realise it's all in retrospect.   The activity has happened and gone.  All the layers of experience gone with it.  I have a mental picture attached to each point/word remembered.  But the connecting lines between are faint if they are there at all.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk No.8

Route: PCA towards Drake's Circus and back Duration: 10 Mins Time of day: Afternoon Today we are given a task in our seminar on 'seeing' that is a research method I have been experimenting with so it was an interesting exercise to hear how the cohort responded and how I responded (having been so habitual in this it was a challenge to do it with even more consciousness). Derive -  Guy Debord. An unplanned journey through a landscape, usually urban, in which participants drop their everyday relation and 'let themselves be drawn by the attractions of the terrain and encounters they find there. We were to take a walk in Plymouth City Centre, document this however we liked and then come back and discuss with a group. I chose to limit myself to sounds but noted down as my usual five word/phrase list: Angle Grinder  Oasis Traffic Chatting Punk We shared the findings in a seminar setting later on.  I hadn't really absorbed what I heard, my walk hadn'

Walk No.27

Route: Plymouth Train Station to PCA Duration: 15 Mins Time of Day: Morning Tarmac:  The crust of the earth made from tarmac.  I see under the skin where the roadworks have excavated.  The layers of stuff.... Strata.  Man made. Topography: This shape that hugs the surface.  The horizontality.  The way it changes as you near the spot you thought you could grasp in your vision.  How might the topography look as a drawn thing.  Topology, the mobius strip etc.... Plateau: A plateau is a safe resting place when climbing.  I'm plateauing now but it doesn't feel safe. All I can see is the next mountain face I have to navigate... Steps:  There are perfect steps (just near the station) where each one is at the right distance and height to take one step at a time, perfect.  Then there are the ones just in the university campus where I use two feet on one step meaning I have an uneven rhythm going up or down them.  It's hugely dissatisfying. The same foot is used to reach fo

Walk No.26

Route:  Totnes to Dartington via Riverpath Duration: 1 hour 30 mins Time of Day: Midday Speeding Van: A van came speeding up the high street and I had started to cross.  Something snapped in me and I slowed right down, holding my ground and walking steadily across the road so the van had to slow down, I stared at the driver in the eyes and gestured he should slow down.  He gave me the finger and swerved round me accelerating loudly so I yelled and gave him the finger back.  I was furious.  He had come out of nowhere, speeding up a gentle road, full of pedestrians with hardly any room to walk on the pavement.  Wanker. From Ollie's sketchbook.. to the man in the van. Lucy Lippard: I try the Eskimo custom she describes in Overlay.  I'm walking the emotion out of my system along the path of the river. "The Eskimo is given a stick, the point at which the anger is conquered is marked with the stick, bearing witness to the strength or length of the rage"....