Skip to main content

Walk No.16

Route: House to bench along river path and back
Duration: Half an hour
Time of Day: Early Morning

Borders: If you look carefully the spray paint has passed through the fence to the wall behind and literally shows a stance on borders.  Every time I pass this wall I feel good.
Borders, divisions, limits, imprisonment, confines: containment, security, control.
I read these words in terms of drawing and they are positive.  But the language is darker in a social context.















Wall:  Another wall, one adjacent to Morrison's car park.  A new wall to prevent the anticipated flooding over the next 100 years.  To Millie, the dog, it allows easy entry into the car park (where there is anticipated food and a lot of irritated shoppers loading their cars).  I spend a long time persuading her to come back to the path.  The designated walking path.  No borders was not good in this case.....

Slippage: My wellies are worn out and have no grip and I slip in them a lot.  It shocks me when I do but it also wakes me up, or actually shifts me from one reality to another....

Still: The river is still.  It's almost 'The Slack'.  The point where the tide is turning,  held in not going out or coming in.
It gives a particular atmosphere.  A pause.

Orienteering: A lot of symbols on my walk, made from a floury substance.  They are mysterious and mystical but I suspect someone has been orienteering over night.  Still, I like to come across them.  Haven't seen this symbol before.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk No.27

Route: Plymouth Train Station to PCA Duration: 15 Mins Time of Day: Morning Tarmac:  The crust of the earth made from tarmac.  I see under the skin where the roadworks have excavated.  The layers of stuff.... Strata.  Man made. Topography: This shape that hugs the surface.  The horizontality.  The way it changes as you near the spot you thought you could grasp in your vision.  How might the topography look as a drawn thing.  Topology, the mobius strip etc.... Plateau: A plateau is a safe resting place when climbing.  I'm plateauing now but it doesn't feel safe. All I can see is the next mountain face I have to navigate... Steps:  There are perfect steps (just near the station) where each one is at the right distance and height to take one step at a time, perfect.  Then there are the ones just in the university campus where I use two feet on one step meaning I have an uneven rhythm going up or down them.  It's hugely d...

Walk No.26

Route:  Totnes to Dartington via Riverpath Duration: 1 hour 30 mins Time of Day: Midday Speeding Van: A van came speeding up the high street and I had started to cross.  Something snapped in me and I slowed right down, holding my ground and walking steadily across the road so the van had to slow down, I stared at the driver in the eyes and gestured he should slow down.  He gave me the finger and swerved round me accelerating loudly so I yelled and gave him the finger back.  I was furious.  He had come out of nowhere, speeding up a gentle road, full of pedestrians with hardly any room to walk on the pavement.  Wanker. From Ollie's sketchbook.. to the man in the van. Lucy Lippard: I try the Eskimo custom she describes in Overlay.  I'm walking the emotion out of my system along the path of the river. "The Eskimo is given a stick, the point at which the anger is conquered is marked with the stick, bearing witness to the strength or length ...

Walk No.28

Route: Home to Totnes Train Station via the riverbank Duration: 20 Mins Time of Day: Morning Paul Ricoeur?:   ~reading the signs~ Projection/translation/ Production:    From nature to me not me to nature.  (Fulton talks about not imposing things on the site/nature.)  Fulton v Long.  In gallery, product v in situ/no product (see Tufnell and Wilson 2002) Thumb/Finger: Still using my finger memory system.  What would fingerprints as maps, enlarged, be like? All the lines/scars on the body as maps..... lines of memory, journeys... Polarised:  I'm working in two methods, pulling opposite ways.  Conceptual ideas made material are not expanding the research.  They're full stops on the end of a thought train.  Not process, just working to illustrate a point.  The more dynamic, unfolding processes seem to interweave theory/thought/discovery and are more like italics, gently accenting emphasis but totally integral to th...