Skip to main content

Walk No.26

Route:  Totnes to Dartington via Riverpath
Duration: 1 hour 30 mins
Time of Day: Midday

Speeding Van: A van came speeding up the high street and I had started to cross.  Something snapped in me and I slowed right down, holding my ground and walking steadily across the road so the van had to slow down, I stared at the driver in the eyes and gestured he should slow down.  He gave me the finger and swerved round me accelerating loudly so I yelled and gave him the finger back.  I was furious.  He had come out of nowhere, speeding up a gentle road, full of pedestrians with hardly any room to walk on the pavement.  Wanker.

From Ollie's sketchbook.. to the man in the van.





Lucy Lippard: I try the Eskimo custom she describes in Overlay.  I'm walking the emotion out of my system along the path of the river. "The Eskimo is given a stick, the point at which the anger is conquered is marked with the stick, bearing witness to the strength or length of the rage"......I'm still holding my stick when I arrive home........

Goethe:  I try looking at the trees in the way I have been taught by a lady called Liz but I'm too riled to connect with any deep observations.

Erased:  My reflection appears rubbed out in the river.  I have drawn this in many ways, I feel this in many ways.  There is a point when a woman is virtually invisible.  I can feel myself becoming erased.  And so the rage rises again....

Loneliness: I feel incredibly lonely.  I have an image in my mind of a film still.  It's a pioneer woman walking with her back to the camera towards a tiny cabin, the cabin is set in a huge panoramic plain.  In the town or city we are witnessed on a human scale, the collective witness of society.  In the country (or wild) there's an enlarged sense of self observation.  Maybe even the potential witness of nature itself, God, the Sublime, the supernatural, whatever label it has it is less contained and tangible which makes it more disturbing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk No.25

Mary Overly The Six Viewpoints. I was introduced to this practice through Deborah Black during a workshop at In Other Tongues , a creative summit held at Dartington Hall 2017.   (see:  http://artdotearth.org/  ) I've been applying it to the walks.... THE SSTEMS Shape - Perceptual ability to see and feel physical form. Space - Perceptual ability to see and feel physical relationship. Time -  Perceptual ability to experience duration and systems created to regulate duration. Emotion -Perceptual ability to experience states of being. Movement - Perceptual ability to experience and identify with kinetic sensation. Story - Perceptual ability to see and understand logic systems as an arrangement of collected information. Difficult to document, of course........

Walk No.27

Route: Plymouth Train Station to PCA Duration: 15 Mins Time of Day: Morning Tarmac:  The crust of the earth made from tarmac.  I see under the skin where the roadworks have excavated.  The layers of stuff.... Strata.  Man made. Topography: This shape that hugs the surface.  The horizontality.  The way it changes as you near the spot you thought you could grasp in your vision.  How might the topography look as a drawn thing.  Topology, the mobius strip etc.... Plateau: A plateau is a safe resting place when climbing.  I'm plateauing now but it doesn't feel safe. All I can see is the next mountain face I have to navigate... Steps:  There are perfect steps (just near the station) where each one is at the right distance and height to take one step at a time, perfect.  Then there are the ones just in the university campus where I use two feet on one step meaning I have an uneven rhythm going up or down them.  It's hugely dissatisfying. The same foot is used to reach fo

Walk No.20

Route: Interior of my house Duration: 2 Hours approx Time of Day: Morning Tracking my movements/walk around the house in the act of vacuuming. Removal:  Reversal of laying down lines and marks, lifting things away with the vacuum cleaner. Dust Motes:   Air is a mass.  The outblow of the vacuum blows the dust around and it illustrates the  movement of the air.  It's suddenly there.  Visible.  There's a poetry in having the invisible revealed to you. Traffic:  Carpet worn.  Foot traffic.  Imprint of the family. Interior Space:  Just noting the difference in being in the confines of walls compared to outside.  Vague reference Jung and houses being interior of minds.  Layout of subconscious etc Dolls House:  As I'm vacuuming I'm mapping the house in my mind.  I'm trying to use the memory palace method of remembering my prompts.  I get a huge memory afterwards when I sketch out the plan.  I remember playing at designing houses with a friend when I